Water is the most important nutriment that our body needs to survive… Without water, the body couldn’t transform antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, proteins and carbohydrates which gives us energy and make us feeling well.
Around 70% of our body is water. Water is the first nutriment essential for our body. In fact, it’s possible to survive 5 weeks without eating but you can only survive 3 days without drinking some water.
We are often at dehydration risk without even knowing it. We tend to consume lots of industrial foods (like cookies, prepared meals, dressings…), drink too much sweet beverages like tea, coffee and also too much alcohol like wine, beer, or cocktails. If you don’t drink enough water, your blood will decrease and it will stress the heart and kidneys.
A bad-hydrated body will keep most of the sodium in the body cells, and will experience swells around the belly, thigh, hands and feet. Moreover, stress, age or inactivity reduce the natural habit of being thirsty, and waiting to be thirsty to drink is already too late. Cramps, painful joints, skin tonicity and vitality decreasing are all dehydration signals.
So, drink water!
Maïa’s 5 tips to stay hydrated
- Buy a nice mug and drink regularly sips of water at work, during meetings, on the bedside table… Make it your life companion
- Don’t wait to be thirsty or to have dry throat to drink, but drink regularly during the day. 1 to 2 liters per day is the recommended quantity. For reference, your urine should be clear
- Reduce and avoid industrial foods! Instead, make homemade soups, dressings, cakes… and watch out the salt quantity
- Forget sodas and other sparkling beverages, or try to limit them as much as possible. When drinking wine, make sure to switch between a glass of water and a glass of wine
- Tap water is perfectly fine but if you don’t enjoy the taste of it, add some lemon, or flavor your water with organic orange that you boil in a pan, add cinnamon, cloves ; let it cool down and drink it iced or hot