Maïa Baudelaire, Nutritionist and Slimming Coach Expert in Food Behaviour and Founder of the Method I Love My Diet Coach® – is the first Nutrition Coaching website to be reimbursed by healthcare. In this article she warns you about the risks of high-protein diets.
So what’s the real reason behind the success of high protein diets? Granted, you lose weight fast. But in the long run, what do you get out of them? Despite the 2010 report by ANSES (National Agency of Health & Safety) on the risky practices of dieting, protein diets have rapidly become very fashionable and are extremely popular.
As an Expert Nutritionist in Food Behaviour, i feel it’s my duty to tell you about the significant risks of these kind of diets, and indeed, diets in general …
RISKS AND CONSEQUENCES:
Too much protein!
Kidney problems can result from over consumption
Too much salt
Bad for the kidneys, excessive removal of essential minerals, water retention …
Too much calcium
Risk of kidney stones, problems in synthesising vitamin D and so therefore an increased risk of osteoporosis
Not enough carbs in the diet
Fatigue, lack of energy and mood swings
Not enough fibre!
Digestive disorders, constipation
The cost, and the protection of the environment
Putting weight back on as soon as we stop dieting
A decrease in basic energy metabolism: the body will burn fewer and fewer calories when we’re at rest and will struggle to lose weight in the future.
5 Reasons to choose a balanced diet:
- You’ll keep all your energy and vitality thanks to seasonal fruits and vegetables
- You’ll eat a balanced diet rich in fibre, minerals and vitamins, and low in salt and saturated fatty acids
- You’ll have a better social life by eating all types of food and learning to manage the quantities and the quality
- You lose weight slowly and surely thanks to a customised nutritional program which is adapted to your needs. This type of diet will prevent you from putting weight back on quickly.
- You save money by using local products and by getting reimbursed through your private healthcare!