Like cellulite, stretch marks form part of the top 10 complexes for ordinary woman in the 21st century! It is estimated that 80% of women are affected. So do you now feel less alone? Me too ! Not that I wish it on others but let’s be honest: when there are several of us to help each other, the fight is easier, no? And that’s why today, I’m sharing with you my top tips on not only how to avoid looking like a zebra after 3 pregnancies but also my little aromatherapy tips to mitigate them.
What are stretch marks?
Well, let’s start from the beginning! A stretch mark, what is it exactly? Because it’s all well and good having a go at them, but firstly, we should know what we’re fighting against, don’t you agree?
Stretch marks are small streaks visible on the skin, mainly on the stomach, thighs, hips, buttocks or even the lower back or back of the knees. They are firstly red, therefore immature, then gradually they become pearly white.
In the event of rapid weight loss, pregnancy, or significant growth phase, the skin is sometimes subjected to too much stress and cracks. More precisely, it’s the fibroblasts, the dermal cells responsible for the production of collagen, which are destroyed under stretching and therefore cause inflammation.
Very often, their origin is hormonal: pregnancy or puberty induce significant hormonal changes, including an increase in cortisol, the stress hormone. This excess leads to a reduction in the production of collagen, therefore decreasing the elasticity of the skin and suddenly it’s “Craaaack”, hello pretty stretch marks!
Prevent stretch marks?
Once again, I am not selling you dreams, let alone an exclusive “anti-stretch marks for life“. But I can promise you that these tips will help reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
Hydrate your body
Before you even start putting on all the existing anti-stretch mark creams, start by focusing on hydration, in the very broadest sense! To function properly your body needs water, so drink at least 1.5 litres per day, and drink … water (I can already see you drinking your Coca Zero all day …!).
Moisturise your skin
Ok, it’s good, if your bottle is empty, you can skip this step. Body hydration is often neglected, especially by our dear male companions who proclaim loud and clear that creams are for girls (we’ll see in 20 years who has the most wrinkled face!). Several options are available to you:
- a mixture of vegetable oils: mix in a small bottle, 25ml of sweet almond oil with 25ml of Argan oil and apply twice a day to the areas at risk. These oils are rich in omega 6 and 9, but also in vitamins A, B, D and E, therefore participating in the cell repair and elasticity of the skin.
- cocoa butter: it’s rich in fatty acids and therefore helps preserve the suppleness, elasticity and hydration of the skin. Be careful though, it is often difficult to get it to penetrate the skin. Don’t forget to scrub the skin regularly to help facilitate it’s penetration!
Obviously, I’m not a dietitian for nothing, I can only advise you to eat balanced meals!
Consume a diet:
- rich in fatty acids such as omega 3, 6 and 9 to strengthen the skin barrier: avocado, vegetable oils, oily fish …
- rich in vitamin A to maintain the healthiness of the skin: carrot, sweet potato, pumpkin, apricot …
- rich in vitamin E to contribute to the elasticity and firmness of the skin: green leafy vegetables, vegetable oils, oilseeds …
In addition to the assortment on the plate, take part in a a physical activity to help skin’s tonicity!
Which essential oils to use against stretch marks?
Are you wondering how to remove your stretch marks? Because yes, despite all that you could do to avoid them, they will still appear? Don’t panic, here are my best essential oils for stretch marks careful, don’t apply not during pregnancy but after!).
You must have already understood from the beginning of the topic, essential oils are rarely used pure. Here are some vegetable oils to use in the case of stretch marks and scars:
- Argan Oil: rich in essential fatty acids, it regenerates and repairs!
- Rosehip Oil: rich in vitamin E, unsaturated fatty acids, it allows to exfoliate the skin, increase its healing, firm it and make it more elastic
- Macadamia oil: it has healing powers, it nourishes and prevents skin dehydration
Put a star next to this part of the article: Anti-stretch mark essential oils!
- Essential Oil Rosewood: it regenerates and stimulates the proliferation of cells, thus activating scar healing.
- Cistus essential oil: it has firming, astringent and healing properties to effectively reduce stretch marks.
- Lavender essential oil: it promotes cell regeneration and thus contributes to healing.
- Italian Helichrysum essential oil: with strong healing powers, it stimulates cellular regeneration, repairs the skin, and has anti-inflammatory properties that are useful against red stretch marks
- Rosemary Ct Verbenone Essential Oil: it accelerates tissue repair and limits inflammation, thus promoting skin scarring
How to use them?
Of course, this is a non-exhaustive list but why not try it already with the ones recommended? To make up your own anti-stretch mark oil, put 5 to 10 drops of Organic essential oil in 5ml of vegetable oil or if you prefer creams, make your own anti-stretch mark cream by adding 5 to 10 drops of essential oil in a teaspoon of neutral cream. Finally, be patient and be rigorous to make sure you see the results!
My best advice
My bag is empty – i have given you all my tips. But I do have one more thing to say to you, and this is probably the best advice in this whole article: accept yourself as who you are. We all have our complexes, our little moments of doubt in front of the mirror, wondering for hours about the dress that we dare to wear. For once, trust me, you are far from an exception! And despite all that we can do, all our complexes, the stretch marks, the cellulite, a crooked nose, or crooked toe: we are the ones who created them. All women, and even men (for once!) have stretch marks, it’s part of life. It’s part of who you are and the best solution to fight against stretch marks is to accept them. And this advice is as good for your stretch marks as for everything else. Start by accepting those little extra pounds that give you a complex, and opt for our Bikini program to help you lose weight gradually and at the same time, avoid the appearance of new stretch marks. Believe in yourself, you are beautiful!